Sunday, April 11, 2010

Baked Potato Skins

I haven't had baked potato skins for a very, very long time. So, I thought that I could probably come up with a yummy vegan version. These turned out great; everyone loved them. I hope you do, too.



Baked Potato Skins:

Ingredients:

5 russet potatoes
1 and 1/2 cups of your favorite vegan cheese, finely grated (we mixed Vegan Gourmet's cheddar and Monterey Jack styles)
2 tomatoes, diced small
3 green onions, sliced
1 can black olives, drained and sliced into thirds
Your favorite salsa

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Prick each potato several times with a fork, and wrap in aluminum foil. Place directly on oven grill and bake for one hour or until fork-tender. Remove, unwrap and let cool for about fifteen minutes. Turn on top oven broiler. Cut each potato in half, and scoop out most of the potato flesh, leaving a thin layer behind. Reserve the removed potato flesh for another meal, like mashed potatoes. Lay all the potato halves on a large cookie sheet, cut side up. Sprinkle each half with cheese and all the toppings, except the salsa. Place the cookie sheet under the broiler for about two or three minutes until the cheese is melted. Be careful not to burn the potato skins. Remove from oven and top with salsa. (My photo is before I slathered on the salsa.) I liked my other toppings baked into the cheese, but you can hold off topping the potatoes with them until the skins and cheese are broiled, if you wish. Keeps well for the next day's lunch. Delicious! Feeds five hungry vegans.

18 comments:

  1. THIS IS MY FAVORITE YUMMY FOOD!!! I could eat 2 servings of them, easy. The bigger the potato the better!!! I am gearing up to make some sinful bagel bread pudding to go with our breakfast dinner buffet tonight!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooo, a breakfast dinner buffet? Tell me more! I might borrow that idea for my family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks SOOO yummy ! Kind of a great comfort/kick back/ Saturday night fun kind of food !

    ReplyDelete
  4. yum...I want to make those...I am having so much trouble keeping weight off (and I am raw, so go figure) that I will wait to try these until I can get back down a few pounds. I think age is really working against me on this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello, Incredible Shrinking Family - It was very good, and easy to make, too.

    Judi, I am so with you there. I obviously need to drop a few, but sometimes I just want something in moderation. But, I will cheer you on, as well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dinner buffets are a weekly thing at our house!!! Usually on Sundays, I make scrambled tofu with mushrooms and a noochy cheese sauce, biscuits and gravy, sometimes I throw out some bacon, or a frittata instead of the tofu. I usually have a couple of fruits too. Tonight we had....
    Honey tangelo wedges
    Orange wedges
    Red grapefruit wedges
    Scrambled tofu with mushrooms
    "sausage" gravy and biscuits
    and for fun I made a bagel bread pudding complete with a pudding top and fresh edible flowers
    I am posting the bread pudding tonight with the recipe...

    ReplyDelete
  7. It isn't dinner at Blessed Mama's without the olives!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds delish! Thanks so much for reading my blog, and taking the time to leave a comment! My daughter is 3, and we are thinking of homeschooling her instead of sending her to public school. I was homeschooled; went to public and private schools also, so I have a large amount of experience in each.
    I am constantly on the lookout for wonderful recipe ideas, and think that your blog will help out greatly! Look forward to reading and learning more.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Brandi, I'll have to check out that recipe. Sounds good.

    S.V., made me laugh out loud again! I gotta buy stock in olives. California is a big olive producer, so there's no excuse!

    Meg, welcome! I hope you find some good, easy ideas here. You have a great blog, and Laila is blessed to have such a godly, nutrition-minded mommy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is one yummy food delight...its a favorite and a common meal for me. Love it.

    http://nuestracena-vegancuisine.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yum, you've got me...I love the way they look, so tasty and rich with the olives and the "cheese".

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi, Millie - I'd love to see your version!

    Thanks, Rose. They were good. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your baked potato skins look great. You had me at the olives. ;-)

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks, Alicia. I had no idea how often I was using those little buggers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey sweety...would you like to be a tester for my wheat & flour tortillas? Please let me know....Hugs...God bless.

    http://nuestracena-vegancuisine.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi, Millie,

    Sure, I'll be a tester for you. Let me know what I need to do.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Will try this tonight and thank you so much for adding me to your christian sites list.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hope you like it, Pet. And, you're welcome. :)

    ReplyDelete