Sunday, April 26, 2015

Roasted Tofu and Red Potatoes with Paprika and Rosemary

I veganized this recipe recently, and my family could hardly wait to dig into it because of the aroma that had permeated our home from the oven.  I've made tofu and potatoes together before, but this particular way of preparing them was new for me.  The result was an appealing combination of textures and spices that made for a fulfilling dinner.  Served with a side of vegetables, this would make a complete meal.


Roasted Tofu and Red Potatoes with Rosemary

Ingredients:

3 pounds of red potatoes, chopped into bite-sized pieces
2 - 14oz. pkgs. of extra-firm tofu, water-packed, drained, chopped into 1/2" cubes
1/2 cup olive oil, divided
2 Tbs. paprika divided
1 Tbs. rosemary leaves, divided
2 tsp. salt, divided
1 tsp. pepper, divided
2 tsp. garlic powder, divided

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.  In a large pot, cover the chopped potatoes with water and bring to a boil.   Boil for seven minutes.  Take the pot's lid, slightly cover the top of the pot, and drain the water into the sink  In the meantime, while the potatoes are boiling, get the spice mixture ready for tossing the potatoes and tofu.  In a large bowl, add half of the olive oil, paprika, rosemary, salt, pepper and garlic powder. Whisk well.  Add the potatoes and toss, until all the potatoes are coated.  Pour onto a large baking sheet.  Prepare the rest of the seasonings in the same bowl and whisk again.  Add the tofu cubes and gently toss to make sure they are coated as well.  The tofu is more delicate than the potatoes, so use a gentle hand.  Pour either next to or over the potatoes.  Bake for one hour, turning twice in that time.  Eventually the potatoes and tofu will be well mixed together, so just toss gently as to not mash the tofu.  When done, pour into a lovely serving platter, serve hot with a side of your favorite veggies, and enjoy your dinner.  Serves five hungry vegans.

12 comments:

  1. Oh yum! Two of my favourite foods combined. Rosemary is really a very nice herb, I love it. I can imagine why your family couldn't wait to dig in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovlie, good smells are so powerful! These filled our rooms and prepared us for the meal. :-)

      Delete
  2. Pretty, pretty! Paprika is such a wonderful spice and I under-use it.
    I had some rice last night that my dude's roommate made, though, with peas and corn and paprika and vegan beef bouillon. It was great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great idea, but I dont think you need to pre-boil the Potatoes if you're then going to roast them for an hour. guess you wanted to really make sure they were done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds delicious! I love potatoes and tofu and paprika!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh yum! Potatoes and tofu pair together so wonderfully and I bet those spices were delicious.
    Will definitely give this a try :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love potatoes, I love tofu, and yet I've never really thought to cook them together like this. How funny how the mind works sometimes! It looks divine - very Spanish! Definitely going to make this one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks so Tasty & so Lovely as always.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love tofu and potatoes cooked together. I'm just glad I can't smell the aroma from this dish right now 'cause I'd be on a plane to your house!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum, this looks like a great meal! Potatoes and tofu are amazing on their own, this combo must be amazing! The spices sound perfect too, I bet it smells amazing and is really flavorful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. First, I have to say how much I love this blog. I find most cooking blogs rather tediously written and too photo & ad heavy (takes forever to load and scroll through). You have a great way of getting to the point succinctly, while also providing great cooking tips and insights!

    Anyway! This looks so easy and delicious, I cannot wait to make - but I'm just curious - do you ever press your tofu beforehand or simply drain? Skimming through your tofu recipes, I didn't see any mention of it so I assume you simply drain. I've never made tofu without pressing so I'm wondering if you feel one way or the other about it. Just curious! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. miss you sweety.

    http://frugaliciouschick.blogspot.com
    http://nuestracena-vegancuisine.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete