PERSONAL NEWS UPDATE
Hello, Everyone! I first wanted to assure you all that I have not abandoned my blog. There have been some extenuating circumstances since I last posted that have kept my attention elsewhere. I will try and encapsulate as briefly as possible what has been going on. Since my last post, we have endured three deaths. Unfortunately, there is a fourth one that is imminent, and when that comes to pass, I may be off again for a couple weeks. That one is sadly related to another death that happened last year, which I didn't mention at the time. I am trying to stay matter-of-fact, but this has been a very emotionally draining time for my family. One of the three deaths resulted in many consequences: somebody came to live on our couch for about a month; that person also had a psychotic break while I was at home with my children, schooling them; we had to have that person removed for a short time for an emergency psychiatric evaluation, and thankfully, they are someplace safe now. G has been running himself ragged due to all of this, and basically collapsed on the couch. The doctor diagnosed him with medical exhaustion, and to top it off, he has a gall stone, which is causing him constant nausea. I have been trying to be the comforter of my family, and we've been spending a lot of time in prayer. School kind of took a back seat during some of this - my children were learning life lessons, instead. It's been a lot to handle to say the least. So, just to let you know, if some of you thought that I had up and left my blog without saying anything, I would never do that. If I am off for a time, it could be any number of things: I'm sick, I'm focused on educating my Blessings, I'm having crazy computer problems, or sadly, it could be something more tragic like these events. If I never come back on, then you can assume something's happened to me. In any case, if I ever decide to stop posting on my blog, I will put up a post saying so; I will not just leave without a word.
A NEW FAMILY MEMBER - MOWR!
That all said, one good thing came out of all of this. One of the deceased hoarded cats and birds, among other things. She had over a dozen birds and nineteen cats. One of the cats is missing one eye, and needed to be adopted by a family that could keep her inside. G and GR both have cat allergies, so I didn't give it a thought. But, G kept bringing her up - she's such a darn friendly cat! So, we decided to take her in on October 1st. She's five and half years old, and so far G and GR seem to be doing fine with her in the house. Mindy and Abby, our doggies, love her, and she is tolerating them. Sparkly and Charlene, our two old lady kitties, are also making their way inside more and more because of their age and cold weather, so we have quite a zoo on our hands now. The new kitty was originally named KC, but when her eye was removed at five months, her name was changed to Karma. I didn't like that: one, I don't believe in karma, and two, I don't think a kitten did anything to deserve her eye removed, so karma wouldn't apply here. I wanted a beautiful name for her, so I thought of how cats are revered in Egypt, and I named her Cleopatra. She's beautiful.
Amazingly, during all this chaos, we went to the first annual Vegan Community Picnic in Sacramento organized by a group whose name escapes me right now, sorry. It was great. There were several food vendors there and informational booths. My mom joined my family and we pigged out. I signed up to be a volunteer for next year. JK dressed as Larry the Cucumber and joined in the Veggie Parade!
ONE LOVELY BLOG AWARD
Ah, a few months ago, Alessandra at Vegan Recipes, awarded me and ten other bloggers with the One Lovely Blog Award. This is my first chance in passing it on. Thank you, Alessandra, for thinking of me! The rules state that I list seven facts about myself and pass this on to fifteen other bloggers.
*I will try and list seven new facts about myself that I haven't listed before.*
1. I love playing Internet backgammon, hearts and spades. If you see an English-speaking expert playing, it could be me... Watch out, though, I'm good! :-)
2. I am thinking of starting a YouTube Channel on cooking up my recipes from my blog and/or promoting vegan cosmetics, skin care, etc. What do you think?
3. I'm a fledgling writer. I've submitted four manuscripts so far, two children's books, and two non-fiction Christian books. One was with the publisher for a year but didn't make the final cut. I'm finishing up my first novel, women's fiction, and will be sending it to agents later this year.
4. I've run a half-marathon, but I can't run anymore because...
5. ...I tore my meniscus, which has led to early arthritis in my right knee. So sad! Won't be doing my dream of running a marathon.
6. I'm a birth doula with no clients, sigh.
7. I'm very romantic. I love Love. Passionate with a capital P. TMI???
*The 15 Bloggers who will get this award? If I've messed up on a link, please let me know.*
1. My "old" friend, Andrea at Andrea's easy vegan cooking . One day I hope to meet my Seattle buddy.
2. Has to be SV at The Shenandoah Vegan . She always sticks with me, even when I'm gone for weeks at a time. I usually get a scolding, though.
3. How about Joey at Flicking the Vs .
4. For a wonderful outlook on life and beautiful food, there's Gluten Free Happy Tummy .
5. Someone I would like to get to know more is Ingrid at Ingrid Improves .
6. Someone else I'm still getting to know: Rachel at Miss Rachel .
7. Millie always cares about me over at Nuestra Cena-American & Latin Vegan Cuisine .
8. Let's hear it for a male vegan blogger! Monkey Man at Simply Vegetarian .
More than halfway there, whew!
9. Enjoying her journey, is Vivacious Vegan over at Adventures in Veganism in Midwestern America .
10. Of course, I have to add Food Feud .
11. Give Claire a try at Almost Skinny Vegan Food .
12. Another homeschooling mom deserves this award - Jenny at Vegan and so Forth .
13. Why not a singing vegan? Look at An Opera Singer in the Kitchen .
14. A not-so-chubby vegan at Chubby Vegan Mom .
And last but not least...
15. For a rundown on nutrition, food and homeless animals, check out, Get Skinny, Go Vegan .
Thank you all for reading this far down. It will take me a few days to catch up on all the blogs, and even to notify the winners of this blog award. I hope to be posting regularly again. I've got recipes lined up in the queue to share with you all.